Microsoft’s MCSA Updates For Windows 8.1: 70-687 and 70-688
The moment Microsoft released Windows 8.1, we knew we could expect updates to the brand’s training materials and certifications. And the changes started coming in quietly and often unnoticed. Microsoft Learning updated both certification exams in the Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) track for Windows 8. The updated MCSA exams were released in January 2014 – just a few months after the launch of Windows 8.1.
With the recent talks about Microsoft and its next steps, we decided to give these exams the attention they deserve. So, let’s explore the updates to the following exams:
Updates to Exam 70-687
The 70-687 exam is all about installing and configuring Windows 8, as well as configuring hardware, networking and applications. Recent revisions include material specific to Windows 8.1: upgrading Windows 7 and installing Windows 8, and migrating from earlier versions of Windows (XP, Vista) to Windows 8.1.
New exam content also covers Hyper-V, Miracast display, Pervasive Device Encryption, and Secure Boot. The 70-687 also covers installing and updating applications from the Windows Store.
As Windows 8.1 has tighter integration with OneDrive (Microsoft’s cloud storage solution), the 70-687 exam now includes questions on how to configure the OneDrive service, retrieve files, and make them available offline.
The exam also covers Microsoft’s new browser, Internet Explorer 11. Related topics can include configuring either/both the desktop and Modern versions of IE.
Updates to Exam 70-688
It’s good to remember that the 70-688 has been renamed “Supporting Windows 8.1”, from its original name “Managing and Maintaining Windows 8” – a minor change that many candidates have found confusing while searching through the Microsoft Learning website.
The 70-688 exam looks deeper into the plumbing of Windows 8.1 clients and how they work in enterprise networks. As a result, the majority of the changes made to this exam are revisions to the existing knowledge domains, rather than entirely new Windows 8.1 content:
Some of the updated content on the 70-688 exam is related to Windows Intune, the cloud management product which can be used to manage PCs and mobile devices, including non-Microsoft devices like iPhones, iPads, and Android devices. Windows Intune can be used to deploy desktop and Windows store apps, as well as to “sideload” line-of-business applications onto Windows 8.1 devices.
Planning to take these exams? Members of our friendly IT community have shared their exam files. Explore them here: 70-687 and 70-688.
Amazon AWS Certified SysOps Administrator Associate – Advanced Storage Section
1. [CCP/SAA] AWS Snow Family Overview Okay, so now let’s do a little bit of a deeper dive into how the multipart upload works. So this is allowing you to update a large object in parts in any order. And it’s recommended when you have a file that is over 100 megabytes and it must… Read More »
Amazon AWS Certified SysOps Administrator Associate – Databases for SysOps Part 9
18. [DVA] ElastiCache Redis Cluster Modes Two types of elastic cache replication you can have for redis and we need to know them both. So the first one is called cluster mode disabled. And in this case you have one primary node and up to five replicas for your node. So this is for redis.… Read More »
Amazon AWS Certified SysOps Administrator Associate – Databases for SysOps Part 8
15. Aurora for SysOps Okay, so one last quick bit of information regarding Aura for your sysps exam. So you can associate a priority tier between zero and 15 on each read Replica and this is helped in case you want to control the failover priority. So RDS will promote a read Replica with the… Read More »
Amazon AWS Certified SysOps Administrator Associate – Databases for SysOps Part 7
13. [SAA/DVA] Aurora Hands On So let’s create an Aura database and we are in the new interface. So there was an old interface and now we can switch back to the old one, but I’ll keep the new so that the video is more compatible with you. And so we’re going to create an… Read More »
Amazon AWS Certified SysOps Administrator Associate – Databases for SysOps Part 6
11. RDS Performance Insights So let’s talk about RDS Performance Insights, and that’s the last one around monitoring for RDS, but I think you need to know it and it is quite a cool tool overall. So Performance Insights allows you to visualize your database performance and you can analyze why there are issues that… Read More »
Amazon AWS Certified SysOps Administrator Associate – Databases for SysOps Part 5
9. RDS Events and Logs Okay, so now let’s talk about RDS events and event subscriptions. So RDS will keep a record of events related to multiple events related to the database instances, to your snapshots, to changes made to your parameter groups or your security groups, etc. So what is an event? Well, an… Read More »